Natural wood and engineered wood are quite different from each other. And their differences add up and impact their need for maintenance (or not). LP SmartSide improves on the characteristics of natural wood, making it an attractive low-maintenance choice for re-siding your home.
Here’s a closer look:
Comparing LP SmartSide with Traditional Wood Siding
- LP SmartSide: Made of treated wood or fibers and adhesive resins, this engineered wood product offers homeowners a composite material with the look of natural wood, yet much stronger. It also includes moisture-resistant waxes and ingredients that maximize its strength. This durable siding material resists decay, making it a low-maintenance choice for homeowners.
- Wood Siding: Genuine wood siding is made from cedar or redwood due to their strong resistance to decay. It has higher maintenance requirements than LP SmartSide, and is a bigger investment upfront.
- LP SmartSide: This engineered wood siding is covered in zinc borate and resists termites, saving you the costly hassle of dealing with pest infestation. The fact that you don’t have to manage pest problems contributes to its desirable low maintenance.
- Wood Siding: Authentic wood tends to attract termites and other pests (including woodpeckers). Wood’s vulnerabilities to infestation compromise your home’s protective layer, which puts its structural integrity at risk. When pests invade, repairs should be made promptly. A pest infestation can also result in the need for a full siding replacement.
- LP SmartSide: Engineered wood’s SmartGuard® manufacturing process keeps water from infiltrating, delivering long-term protection for your home. It won’t expand and contract and resists the warping, cupping, and splitting that traditional wood siding is known for.
- Wood Siding: When it’s not properly sealed, cedar and redwood siding can be infiltrated with water, creating costly damage.
- LP SmartSide: Engineered wood’s superior paint adhesion and consistent paint application make paint last longer than it does when applied to traditional wood siding. It comes in pre-primed panels (you can paint it any color) or prefinished. If you choose SmartSide Preferred Prefinish, it comes with a 15-year warranty, giving you peace of mind that your siding is well protected. Choose from a wide variety of LP SmartSide’s stunning hues, like Abyss Black and Rapids Blue.
- Wood Siding: Wood needs to be scraped and repainted or stained every few years, which is a massive task. If you don’t keep wood properly sealed, it will rot and warp, creating the costly need for repairs. The regular maintenance wood siding requires will drain your time and money.
Why High-Maintenance Wood Siding Is Declining in Popularity
The upfront costs, as well as the long-term cost of maintenance and repairs, should all be factored into your choice of siding material.
Engineered wood is typically less expensive initially and over the years—due to low-maintenance costs. LP SmartSide is an affordable, environmentally friendly investment that comes with a desirable industry-leading, 50-year warranty.
Wood siding’s need for high maintenance and engineered wood’s low maintenance needs make it easy to understand why more homeowners are choosing engineered wood siding like LP SmartSide for their home’s protection. LP SmartSide requires significantly less upkeep, resulting in time and money savings throughout the lifespan of your siding.
Get the Classic Beauty of Wood Siding without Wood’s High Maintenance!
At Beissel Window & Siding, our siding and window installations have been trusted by thousands of Twin Cities homeowners for over 70 years. We install alternatives to traditional wood siding, including LP SmartSide and James Hardie siding.
Although we offer multiple options for manufacturers and materials, we will make sure you feel informed and not overwhelmed when you make your decision. We will walk you through each option and ensure you are confident with your choice.
Discover how LP SmartSide can transform your home exterior into a beautiful one!