Choosing the best material for your home’s protection can be challenging when you are in the market for siding replacement. While some options have many amazing characteristics, no material has it all, so it is essential to look at the facts and select the exterior material that will meet your needs best now and in the future.
Read on as we compare two of the most popular siding types.
Comparing James Hardie with Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl siding – At 0.05 inches thick, vinyl siding gives your exterior a smooth finish that works well on modern-style houses.
- Hardie siding – Five times thicker than vinyl, Hardie siding offers authentic shadow lines that add visual interest and can mimic the look of wood.
- Vinyl siding – When you choose high-quality vinyl siding and have it installed by a reputable contractor like Beissel Window & Siding, it will resist weather better than other vinyl siding installations. Insulated vinyl siding is known for its high R-Factor (a measurement that indicates how well a material insulates your dwelling) and helps safeguard it from extreme temperatures.
- Hardie siding – Fiber cement is engineered to withstand damage from rain, snow, hail, and extreme temperatures.
- Vinyl siding – Vinyl is vulnerable to melting when exposed to fire. It may warp when grilles are used too close to your exterior and when the summer heat is reflected off windows.
- Hardie siding – Fiber cement is non-combustible, will not ignite when exposed to direct flame, and is fire resistant, giving you more time to exit safely in case of a fire. As a result, many insurance companies offer a discount on coverage if your house is protected by Hardie siding.
- Vinyl siding – When exposed to UV rays, vinyl fades over time. The problem is that it can fade at different rates, creating color inconsistencies.
- Hardie siding – Hardie’s ColorPlus Technology offers reliable fade resistance so your house remains beautiful for years. It also ensures your finish will not chip, crack or peel.
- Vinyl siding – This siding comes in a wide range of colors and styles. You can select horizontal or vertical panels to get your desired look.
- Hardie siding – You will boost your property’s curb appeal with this attractive siding option. It comes in multiple styles that give you every opportunity to bring out the best in your exterior. Choose from fiber cement vertical panels, horizontal lap siding, shingles, trim, and soffits.
- Vinyl siding – When vinyl is installed correctly and maintained well, it can last 20-plus years. It may begin to show signs of aging at 10 years.
- Hardie siding – This long-lasting siding is known for its durability. If installed by a reputable team of professionals who are trained by the Hardie company (like us!), and maintained well over the years, this reliable siding can last 50-plus years. It could be the last siding you ever need to install!
- Vinyl siding – One of the most attractive things about vinyl siding is its affordability. It makes re-siding more feasible for many people, giving them ample opportunity to bring a refreshing upgrade to their home’s aesthetics.
- Hardie siding – Hardie siding is a more significant initial investment than vinyl, but it pays off for years. It comes with a hefty 30-year warranty. Just ensure it is installed by contractors in the James Hardie Alliance Program (like us!).
- Vinyl siding – Vinyl siding does not need to be repainted but will fade over time. Vinyl tends to get nicked in spots over the years, and you will need to replace panels when they become compromised.
- Hardie siding – This siding is made so well that it requires almost no maintenance. Wash your siding every 6-12 months, and it will maintain its beauty.
Transform Your Property with New Siding
At Beissel Window & Siding, we have been an Angi’s List Super Service Award Winner every year since 2003. It has been our privilege to serve tens of thousands of Minneapolis and St. Paul homeowners during our 70 years of being in business.
If you have noticed your home’s siding needs an update, we invite you to explore our siding services to see what siding could work perfect for your home!